Double-click to start typing
"Where Sports Meets Life"

Dan Tortora Broadcast Media Welcomes YOU to,

Listen. Watch. Read. Enjoy. 


The Last-Second Heave Doesn't Fall Twice, Miami Moves On

Posted on March 9, 2023 at 2:05 PM

  Article by Dan Tortora

  The 1st-seeded Miami Hurricanes opened up the action for the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) Tournament Quarterfinals' round with their first action of the tournament after receiving a double-bye through the first and second rounds here in Greensboro, North Carolina.

  Their opponent, the 9th-seeded Wake Forest Demon Deacons, advanced through their first game of the tournament, a second-round match-up with the 8th-seeded Syracuse Orange, on a three-point shot on the right wing by graduate guard Daivien Williamson that broke the 74-74 tie with Syracuse with 00.5 seconds remaining.

  Wake Forest would begin the game with the lead off of a three by freshman forward Bobi Klintman, but would not see it again from the 15:52 mark of the first half, when fourth-year junior guard Isaiah Wong converted a layup to make it 4-3 Miami, despite tying the game five times after going down 4-3.

  The Hurricanes would get ahead by as many as 18 in the second half, but the Demon Deacons refused to go away, coming within seven, 65-58, with 3:59 to play in the contest.

  Graduate guard Tyree Appelby would make it a two-possession game with a tough three from the right wing that shrunk Wake Forest's deficit to 67-61.

  With 2:44 to play, third-year sophomore guard Nijel Pack picked up his fifth and final foul, ending the day with nine points, five rebounds, two assists, one block, one steal, and two turnovers in 30 minutes. The foul placed the Demon Deacons in the double-bonus and Appleby went 1-for-2 at the line to get the game back to a two-possession situation for Wake Forest.

  Back-to-back three-balls by sophomore guard Cameron Hildreth and Appleby, respectively, brought the deficit to four for Wake Forest, 73-69, with 38 seconds remaining on the game clock here in Greensboro.

  The Demon Deacons would drain their clock almost turning the ball over and then looking for a shot, but Hildreth would make it count as he waited for his defender to fly by, taking and making the open three to make it 74-72 Hurricanes with 2.7 seconds to go.

  Miami sophomore guard Wooga Poplar would miss the front end of a 1-&-1 attempt, giving Wake Forest an opportunity to beat the buzzer, just as they did a day ago versus Syracuse.

  However, this one would not grace the nylon, resulting in the top-seeded Hurricanes moving onto the ACC Semifinals.

Categories: Atlantic Coast Conference, NCAA

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

You must be a member to comment on this page. Sign In or Register